Thursday 30 June 2022

From floor tile to mini quilt

This month’s sewing has been for an online challenge to make a patchwork block inspired by pictures of tiles.

The house in which I grew up had a tiled hall and I managed to find an old photo of it. I knew the tiles were likely made by Maw & Co of Jackfield and via Google I was able to find an old pattern book of their "Geometric and Roman Mosaics Encaustic Tile Pavements". Looking at the pattern book, it would suggest our hall was pattern number 29 but with a slight variation on the border to make it narrower.


 

Even though there are various options for a quilt block in the main part of the floor, I decided to make the corner embellishment shown in the pattern book using FPP templates.


 

Each FPP square finished at 2” and were not too complicated to make. However, there was quite a bit of cursing and unpicking after I had sewn the squares together and realised that blocks with long black triangles were facing the wrong way.


 

Once everything was facing the correct way, I added a 1” border and quilted it using stitching nearly in the ditch. With a half inch binding, the finished size is ~9”.


 

(While looking at the photo of the hall floor for this project, I spotted a mistake in the border tiles that must have been there since the floor was laid, but went unnoticed all the time I was living there.)

 

(A WordPress version of this post is available here as it may be more mobile-friendly for viewing and commenting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.