Sunday 31 July 2022

A magical birthday quilt

About four weeks before the event, I realised a friend’s significant birthday was approaching and I needed to make something special for it. Fortunately, this coincided with her telling me of a recent Harry Potter themed weekend away and me buying some Harry Potter FQs in a supermarket with a view to making a quilt for Project Linus. The FQs were repurposed, some more Harry Potter fabrics bought, a few days taken off work and I managed to get a quilt made in time for the big day.

The feature fabrics are framed in churn dashes and I left plenty of negative space for two types of quilting. The main quilting is straight-line quilting inside the churn dashes and free motion “stars and squiggles” meandering around the churn dashes. For the largest churn dashes, a few stars were added to keep the layers together.

In the negative spaces I quilted Harry Potter associated words by printing the words onto thin paper and stitching through the paper around each letter. To make the word stand out a little, I used Aurifil 28wt thread whereas the “stars and squiggles” used Aurifil 40wt thread.

I even put a label of sorts on the back of the quilt, though the quilt police would probably tell me off for not including my name.

Now this has been handed over to a very happy Harry Potter fan, I can go back to my original plan of making a Project Linus quilt as there is plenty of fabric remaining.

* This was not an entirely solo effort - I did receive the usual feline assistance.

(A WordPress version of this post is available here as it may be more mobile-friendly for viewing and commenting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.