Thursday 28 March 2019

Finish-a-long 2019 – Q1, finish 3

In a change from quilts, the third finish from my Finish-a-long list is something for me to wear. I got a remnant of jersey houndstooth fabric in a destash at the Leeds MQG meeting and wanted to make a simple skirt with it.

 
I could try to sound impressive and call it a self-drafted pattern, but really it was just a matter of making tube of fabric to my hip measurement, adding darts at the front and back to give some shaping at the waist and using elastic to hold it in place. The trickiest part was trying to determine how to pattern match on the back seam and keep the hip measurement vaguely correct.
Skirt Back
Spot the seam!
I kept putting off this project as it would involve getting out the overlocker but once I had it set up alongside my sewing machine, it didn’t take long to stitch the seam and darts on the machine and then use the overlocker to neaten the seam allowances, the hem edge and to attach the elastic. I stitched the hem by hand as the stitches could be hidden amongst the overlocking.


The skirt was made on Sunday afternoon and worn into work on Monday morning.

(For 2019, I am trialling a version of this website on WordPress to see if it is more mobile-friendly for commenting and posting. The WordPress version of this post is available here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.