Sunday 28 February 2021

Heart Strings Quilt

This month’s sewing was made as an online Valentine challenge and is a smallish (40” square) quilt for Project Linus. 

 

With feline assistance, I gathered my fabrics and starting sewing during the weekend of Valentine’s day.

 

The quilt is made from 16 string-pieced squares, some a single colour and some two-coloured. Squares and HST were made using string piecing on to a paper backing, a technique I’d not tried before. The strings were cut from FQs of Liberty quilting cotton and the cream background is from low volume fabrics that I have been adding to my stash over several months. I didn’t get my calculations quite right when working out what size strings to cut so I had to insert narrow strings to get full coverage.

 

I quilted it with a free motion meander with heart shaped motifs. The pink thread I used for the heart was too good a match for some of the strings and I struggled to see the quilting in places.

 

The backing and binding fabrics were from stash and the binding is machine stitched as I think it is more suitable for a quilt that hopefully will get lots of use and washing.

 

I’m quite pleased to have used some more of my Liberty rather than having it sit unused in my Stash.

(A WordPress version of this post is available here as it may be more mobile-friendly for viewing and commenting.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.