Monday 24 November 2014

No knitting, but plenty of stitching and shopping



It is at times such as Saturday when I went to the Knitting and Stitching show in Harrogate that my purse is very glad that I only sew and don’t knit. For anyone who knits and sews, this show must be so full of temptations.

This year I decided to book one of the many workshops offered and the first part of my visit was spent learning three different tailoring techniques with Celia Banks from Sew Fundamental. The 90 minute workshop was very well organised and Celia taught us how to use a bias strip to set in sleeves, a new to me way of making a welt pocket, and how to get the perfect sleeve vent. The most technically challenging of the three was the welt pocket and at times I had no idea how it was going to work, but Celia took us through it step by step and there was a Eureka moment when suddenly it all became clear.
 

The rest of my time was spent shopping, chatting with some familar faces and putting faces to online names. I wrote a shopping list on the coach on the way to Harrogate and I managed to stick to it fairly well with only a few “off-list” purchases. I found several pieces of vintage Liberty lawn which I bought just because I love Liberty and I bought one new FQ of Liberty lawn for a project I have in mind. The shot and peppered cottons are for a quilt for my husband - we’ve finally decided on a pattern, so perhaps 2015 will be the year he finally gets his quilt. The Bottomline thread is for my ongoing hexie EPP quilt and the Flatter was bought for all the FQs in my stash that have stubborn creases from having been there so long. The magnetic bag clasps were on my list, but the slide in frames were an off list purchase which at £5 for two (with a free pattern) were too good to miss. The Gutermann thread at £2 a reel was another off-list purchase as were the back issues of Love Sewing and Quilt Now at only £10 for four magazines.


After all my sewing purchases, there was just time for a quick walk up the hill to Betty’s for one final bit of shopping before getting the coach home.

1 comment:

  1. some good purchases here and I can see you got lots out of your tutorial, I was there 3 days and did not see a magazine stand! Good to have seen you too

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.