Wednesday 26 June 2013

It was twenty years ago today ...



 .. . that I was wearing a me-made dress.  

Looking back, I wasn’t apprehensive at the prospect of making my wedding dress as to me it was just following a pattern (or three or four). Even though I’ve more experience of sewing and there is so much more information available, I don’t know if I’ve the confidence to make a wedding dress now.  Today’s wedding dresses seem no longer to be a dress, but to be a feat of engineering. Back in my day (!) my main concern was the outer appearance – there was no need for a complicated internal foundation as bridal lingerie could take care of any “holding in” and “pushing up” needed.

I enjoyed making my “analogue era” wedding dress (hence the photo of a photo – no digital versions then) and I think there was an element of “ignorance is bliss” when it came to construction and sewing techniques. I’m sure the wealth of  information that is now easily accessible on the internet has helped many to make the dress of their dreams, but I just find modern styles and expectations rather daunting.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. We clocked up 21 years this month, but as we only had 11 days to organise ours (its a long story - I had my ticket booked back to NZ, etc, etc) my dress was from the £20 bargin rack in a store I cant remember the name of (it had a lipstick mark on it that came out very quickly).
    How clever of you to make your own. Well done.
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly, 1) You made your own wedding dress, amazing and 2) You've been married how long!!!! You don't look old enough for that to even be possible. Truly meant as a compliment. Congratulations by the way.

    I can't wait to meet you for real, so soon now :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.