This summer has seen very little sewing. I started a new quilt, finished a block from last year’s FQ retreat, made a pair of pyjama shorts, stitched a bag for Festival of Quilts and that has been about it. I think I was knocked out of kilter a bit in May by some deaths and illnesses amongst family and friends and since then I’ve not really felt like picking up a needle and thread or reaching for fabric and scissors.
There are signs though that Autumn will be a bit more productive and maybe my sew-jo is returning. I made a quick iPad cover for my godson using an old LFC pyjama top and a FQ of fabric (but didn’t get time to take a photo). I’ve basted and quilted the quilt top and will get the binding stitched at Leeds MQG on Saturday. I’ve also added a few more hexies to my long term hexie liberty quilt project, a task which has been much easier thanks to some new additions to my sewing kit.
I switched from using Aurifil 50wt cotton to Bottomline 60wt polyester for stitching the hexies together and thanks to a bargain pair of rather blingtastic reading glasses I no longer struggle with close up needlework. The thread was recommended for EPP by Flossie Teacakes and I bought some reels at Festival of Quilts. It is a very slippery thread but I’ve had far fewer knots or breakages with it than with the Aurifil. I‘ve worn glasses/contact lenses since at school and am starting to reach the stage (or rather the age!) where I can see more clearly without them for close up needlework, especially when using the fine 60wt thread. I assumed that because my reading was not affected, reading glasses would be of no help. How wrong I was – this £2 pair of glasses have made such a difference to my hand sewing and are now an essential part of my sewing kit.
I'm hopeful that the next few months will see the sewing restart and soon there will be some small projects or progress reports to share with you.