Thursday, 19 December 2013

2013 - My year in sewing

For my last blog post of this year, I thought I would take a look back at what I made during 2013.

Some of the items have already appeared in posts, but a few have not made it to the blog until now. My sewing was split fairly evenly between items for others and items for me, though my poor husband has been waiting for over a year for a pair of pyjama trousers (and is still waiting). I guess that should be my first project for 2014.


  • Baby quilt top (which turned out to be too “old” and will be turned into a quilt for Project Linus)


  • Scrappy Trip Around the World quilt (for my mum)
  • iPad Case (for me)
  • Baby quilt for my great nephew (a quick change of colour scheme was required as a great niece was expected)


  • Mommy Poppins Bag (for me)
  • iPad Case (for a friend’s birthday)


  • Mini ironing board
  • FQR name tag


  • Caddy pin cushions for FQR swap
  • Mini pin cushion rings for FQR swap
  • Notebook cover (for me)


  • Disappearing Nine Patch baby quilt (for a work colleague’s new arrival)


  • Butterfly Wristlet (this was donated to the Hospice Christmas Fair)


  • Hexie Christmas cards (I can’t believe I was thinking of Christmas so early)


  • Quilt for me
  • Notebook covers and tote bags (for Hospice Christmas Fair)
  • Button cards and lucky dip bags of buttons (for Hospice Christmas Fair)


  • Quilt (for my mother-in-law)
  • Phone cover for my new phone using scraps from the quilt for me.
  • Oval zip pouch (as part of a friend’s Christmas present)

An ongoing project through out 2013 has been an EPP quilt using Liberty lawn and 5/8" hexies.  Here's where I am at the end of this year - let's see what progress has been made by next year's review.

Wednesday, 18 December 2013

A Quick Quilt for Christmas

After struggling to find a Christmas present for my mother-in-law, I decided to make her a quilt. The only problem was that I had just two weeks to make it as we were seeing her before Christmas. Fortunately luck was on my side and I finished it with a week to spare.

I started on the Monday evening by picking out fabrics from my stash that would go with the burnt orange walls of her bedroom. 

Tuesday saw me buying just one extra fabric in my lunch hour and then cutting the squares in the evening (with a furry helper). 

Wednesday and Thursday evenings were spent sewing and by Friday all the blocks were made and it was time to decide on the width of sashing and whether or not to include cornerstones. 

The sashing was cut on Saturday (with a different furry helper) and the top assembled. 

Tacking, quilting and machine stitching the binding was done on Sunday. 

The binding was hand stitched at Liverpool Sewing Club on Monday evening and the final loose ends stitched in on Tuesday evening.

It was satisfying to make this quilt as it used mainly stash fabrics and it went together without any hitches. As the quilt had to fit into a cabin bag, I used a fleece backing which made it easier to pack. I didn't add sashing at the edge of the quilt as otherwise I would have had to piece the backing. The binding was done with the same fabric as the sashing which I think compensated for the lack of the outer sashing. The quilting used Aurifil 50 wt along the inside of the sashing and a variegated Aurifil 40 wt around the outside of the centre square of each block.

My mother-in-law was asking lots of questions about my sewing and quilt making, so hopefully when she opens the present on Christmas Day it will be a nice surprise.