Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Quilt Decisions Made

At the end of my last post, I was undecided how to back the quilt I was making, but the more I thought about it, the less it made sense to go and buy fleece when I already had backing fabric and wadding and so the decision was made to make a “proper” quilt.

A piece of unidentified wadding I picked up as end of roll remnant was just about big enough and I used the spare low volume pieces from the layer cakes to make a pieced section for the backing fabric to bring that up to size.

I did wonder whether it would be possible to tack this on the kitchen table, but thanks to some advice from Mary via Instagram (who pointed me in the direction of this blog post) and a large piece of MDF, I managed to get the quilt sandwich assembled at home.

I was hoping to only have to do straight line quilting, but I couldn’t be sure whether the batting would support a gap of approximately 6”. Checking online it appeared that most batting seemed to be able to be quilted 4” or 10” apart, and so I added a motif in the centre of each square just to be on the safe side.

My final task at the weekend was to machine stitch the binding ready for hand sewing at Sewing Club on last Monday.  All that is left to do is to sew in the loose ends and wash it to remove the guidelines I drew for each motif.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.