Saturday 30 June 2018

Cabin fever

I’ve been playing around with log cabin blocks this month as I offered to write July’s instructions for the online block of the month club I’ve been following.

June’s BOM involved some improv curves which I found a bit challenging. Each of the sub-blocks were only 5” unfinished, so the curves were quite tight in places. I decided to cut everything oversized and trim to size so I could concentrate on the curves and not have to worry about exact seam allowances.


In contrast to the curves, I’ve gone back to straight seams for July’s BOM and have used wide and narrow pieces in a log cabin block to show the different effects that can be achieved with just the one block.
 

I had not really realised the versatility of this block as, until now, my only experience of it was making a single large block in a school needlework class many years ago. Now I’ve seen what can be done with it, I won’t be leaving it as long before making more.

If anyone wants to try making the blue and white blocks, the instructions are available as a pdf file.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.