Tuesday 29 May 2018

Becoming partial to partial seams

As I mentioned last month, I have been following an online block of the month club, but when May's block was posted I felt the need to modify it a little.

The original block used a very clever technique of cutting and inserting strips to create a lattice effect. Unfortunately, I knew I would prefer an even effect of "over and under" rather than the uneven effect this creates.

Uneven Weave

I don't have any fancy quilt design programmes but by drawing the block sections in PowerPoint, I came up with a construction method that used partial seams and would give an even weave effect.

Even Weave
Other members of the BOM club also wanted this effect and so I prepared a tutorial which I have now posted in my Projects/Tutorials section. Getting the even weave effect is a bit more complicated than the method for the original block, but partial seams are a very useful technique and hopefully the instructions make it clear which part to stitch, which part to leave open, and when to close the seam.


Please don't be put off by partial seams - give them ago and you might find them useful when trying to work out how to assemble other designs. Now I've conquered partial seams, I next need to tackle my fear of Y seams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.