The days are getting longer, bulbs are flowering in the garden and I seem to be springing into sewing action. No major projects, but some stash busting has occurred and a long neglected project restarted.
First up were some sheets for Alder Hey Hospital’s intensive care unit. A plea appeared in the local paper for brightly coloured sheets for cots and incubators so this was an ideal opportunity to use some of the novelty prints in my stash. About 9 metres of fabric have been put to a good use and sent to Alder Hey.
Next was a quick tablet cover for an 8” tablet I use at work. I removed the pages from an old A5 hard back diary and added scraps of wadding to cover as padding. A new cover was made with a remnant of fabric and off cuts of fleece, with elastic hair bobbles being used to hold the tablet in place and to fasten the cover.
More stash busting with the next project – a quilt for Project Linus. I stocked up on microfleece in Abakhan’s sale and now I need to make the quilt tops to go with the fleece backing. This is the first of two I intend to make for the blue fleece in my stash.
Finally, I’ve gone back to the Liberty hexie quilt I started in 2013 and which has been left untouched since the end of 2014. When I started this quilt I had limited Liberty in my stash and the original plan was to make a bed size quilt in a zig zag pattern, but I had never decided just what size it would. This project stalled as the fabrics would not now be my first choice and not having a finished size made it seem an unending task. Time to SWAP (Sew With A Purpose) – I’ve decided to change size and designs and go for a lap quilt in a mirrored effect based on what I have completed so far. This means nearly half the quilt is done and having a final goal has spurred me on to getting the rest finished.
Here's hoping that the stash busting and sewing continues.