Thursday 24 April 2014

Fabric Fast Update



Back in January, many people started a six month fabric fast. I decided a complete fast wasn't for me and set out terms for a fabric fast “lite” which was to run until Easter. My “lite” version had quite a lot of exemptions, and now that Easter has gone, I think it is time to share my fabric purchases and see if I stuck to my fast.

Looking back, I have bought:
  • Three metres of fleece for quilt backs (OK)
  • One sale fat quarter from Viking Loom (Ok ish, but bought as I do like to try to support independent shops)
  • Half a metre of quilting cotton for the Marmalade quilts (not really OK, though it was for a specific quilt, but I only needed enough for two charm squares)
  • Three fat quarters of solid fabrics from Liberty Bell (OK)
  • One metre of heritage print from Quarry Bank Mill at Styal (OK on a technicality as my husband paid!)
 

There have also been a few purchases of Liberty lawn from the factory shop in Lancaster, but they were on the exempted list. Surprisingly, I found that I didn't try to compensate for the lack of fabric purchases by buying lots of haberdashery or books instead.

I didn’t find the fabric fast as difficult as I thought I might – in fact it was quite liberating not to have to look at every notification of new fabric lines, shop sales or fabric destashing to see if there was anything I wanted. I’ve been sewing from stash this year, but it doesn't seem to have got much smaller. I think I will continue my fabric fast “lite” for another few months at least, though not until after I’ve visited the British Quilt and Stitch Village this weekend :-)

1 comment:

  1. you have been out and about Sara, have a great time at the quilt village, I am sure your purse will be a lot lighter when you come home!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.