Thursday, 10 April 2014

An only slightly pointless quilt

I made this quilt top at the start of 2013. It was my first attempt at half square triangles and was supposed to be a baby quilt as a gift for a colleague. However, when it was finished, I didn’t like it – some triangle points had disappeared and it was just “too old” to be a baby quilt. A more suitable quilt was made and this one was put away.

Over a year later, I dug it out of the UFO pile and decided to try to rescue it.  I couldn’t do anything about the missing points, but by making it a bit bigger, I thought it might be a suitable quilt for Project Linus. I added a couple of borders, using half square triangle cornerstones to save having to learn how to mitre corners, and actually started to like the quilt.

I added a fleece backing and quilted it in a straight line, edge-to-edge grid using Aurifil 50 wt grey (shade 2600) in the needle and variegated blue (shade 3770) in the bobbin. For the binding I had not quite enough of orange chevron fabric so I pieced it with random inserts of solid orange to make it to the required length.


Now the quilt is finished, I rather like it. Even though it is still slightly pointless when it comes to the half square triangles, it is no longer pointless when it comes to finding a good home.


  1. I think you are being hard on yourself- only you would know that some of those points are a little lacking in their pointy-ness! It looks lovely!

  2. Ooh my gosh I think it's fab! Very cool and retro


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. I’d like to be able to respond where appropriate - if you are a no-reply blogger, please leave an email address.