After struggling to find a Christmas present for my mother-in-law, I decided to make her a quilt. The only problem was that I had just two weeks to make it as we were seeing her before Christmas. Fortunately luck was on my side and I finished it with a week to spare.
I started on the Monday evening by picking out fabrics from my stash that would go with the burnt orange walls of her bedroom.
Tuesday saw me buying just one extra fabric in my lunch hour and then cutting the squares in the evening (with a furry helper).
Wednesday and Thursday evenings were spent sewing and by Friday all the blocks were made and it was time to decide on the width of sashing and whether or not to include cornerstones.
The sashing was cut on Saturday (with a different furry helper) and the top assembled.
Tacking, quilting and machine stitching the binding was done on Sunday.
The binding was hand stitched at Liverpool Sewing Club on Monday evening and the final loose ends stitched in on Tuesday evening.
It was satisfying to make this quilt as it used mainly stash fabrics and it went together without any hitches. As the quilt had to fit into a cabin bag, I used a fleece backing which made it easier to pack. I didn't add sashing at the edge of the quilt as otherwise I would have had to piece the backing. The binding was done with the same fabric as the sashing which I think compensated for the lack of the outer sashing. The quilting used Aurifil 50 wt along the inside of the sashing and a variegated Aurifil 40 wt around the outside of the centre square of each block.